Tuesday, December 15, 2015

THE DEAD GAME -- THE JOURNEY INTO HELL AND BEYOND

THE DEAD GAME -- The Journey into Hell and Beyond

Face to face.
Eye to eye.
A growl.
A  whimper.

The whimper belongs to me.
I'm David,
One of the invited to the party
at the deserted End House.

Too many obstacles.
Too many ways to die.
Circular saws and sharp cages.
Wild animals stalking their prey.

We must find a way out.
Tom and Edward had fled through a doorway
And vanished for good.
Half our group is exploring upstairs.

My group is trapped in the basement,
Which is filling rapidly with water.
Three closed doors wait for us.
I can hear the animals behind door #3.

Whom to trust?
Who are my friends?
Are some of them my enemies?
I must be careful.

Louise is trembling with fear.
Mike is determined to find a way out.
He doesn't care about Louise
Or anyone else.

The dark room of animals is small and creepy.
Tigers are leaving their cages.
There's the door knob.
It's moving.

Maybe someone is trying to save us.
"Hey guys, I'm checking out the door."
It's stuck and the door is too heavy.
"Come on and help me open it."

Between the three of us,
We finally open the door.
Freedom.
Time to escape.

A long and slippery staircase
Down to the beach and rocks.
Creatures are flying at us,
Trying to knock us into the ocean.

What could possibly happen next?

THE DEAD GAME



Wednesday, October 28, 2015

TAKE ME TO PARADISE



Our imagination entices us.
It takes us to new places.
It fulfills our needs.
It defines us.

With our eyes closed,
We could explore the world.
Nothing to limit us.
Nothing to get in our way.

Oceans could be crossed.
Far away places visited.
Mountains climbed.
Passions enjoyed.

Doors need to be opened.
Thresholds crossed.
Our minds have the capabilities.
So many possibilities.

 A closed door stands before me,
Hiding its own secrets. 
I will not let it
Stop me or inhibit me.

I will cross its threshold 
With eyes wide open.
Ready to take on the day
And maybe even the night.

The door opens to flowers and sunshine.
Lounge chairs on the hot sand.
The sun shining on the ocean,
Revealing palettes of blues and greens.

A perfect paradise waits for me.
A bathing suit lying across a chair.
Time for a swim and a tan.
A beautiful escape.

Maybe a little too perfect?
The sea breeze becomes a little rougher.
The waves stand a little taller.
The palm trees whip around in the wind.

It is my fantasy.
Its direction is in my hands.
Storm or peaceful tropical day.
Some excitement is definitely needed.

Heavy winds approach Oasis' shore.
I make a quick retreat to the hotel.
I join my friends at the bar 
As palm trees fly across the pool deck.

I will follow my imagination
To wherever it may lead me.
I hope this story has a happy ending
For me and the town of Oasis, Florida.


THE DEAD GAME


Tuesday, October 27, 2015

THE DEAD GAME --- The Battle for Oasis 



Let the darkness lull me to sleep,
With dreams of red sunsets.
Clouds drifting on cotton balls,
Encircling me with their softness.

Let the moon’s face shine on me,

Making me feel safe and secure.      
The stars twinkle in merriment,
Ready to tackle the night.

The day brings a new enemy

To our peaceful shore.
A dark kingdom will rise up,
A new kingdom for The Dead.

All memory of our town will be wiped out

With a mere swipe of their hands.
Rain and hail will flood the streets.
Fire will take down our church.
A hooded figure approaches me,
His gait slow and sure.
He slowly pulls back his hood
To reveal the creature beneath.
“My dear Linda, you have waited for me. 
I will have my ice queen at my side.” 
Wolf quickens his stride to reach me,
But I turn my face away.

I peek through my eyelashes

At his beautiful face.
He abruptly turns around

To summon his army.
Over his shoulder he whispers,
“I’m so sorry you will
fall in battle like the others.
Goodbye dearest one.”

He leaves with his followers. 

I am free at last.
I now feel lost
And abandoned.
Did I want him to fight for me?
Of course not.
I would never join The Dead.
But still…   

THE DEAD GAME          
   

Sunday, October 25, 2015

LET THE GAMES BEGIN --- THE DEAD GAME


The moon hides behind the house,
Too fearful to show its shiny face.
For the deserted house on the hill
Rules the nest and detests intruders.

We come in the night to save our friends
From the evil alive within.
We come armed and ready for battle
To free the ones lost in its tunnels.

A house with its own identity,
With The Dead living in its walls.
A house able to defend itself
From all strangers at its door.

I can hear the whispers and sighs
Coming from deep with its bowels.
I can see faces at its windows,
Elongated with hollow eyes.

We must return to the dark basement,
To the place of traps and swinging saws.
We must fight the evil hiding within,
Behind the three closed doors.

Gargoyles and grabbing arms
Block our way through the dark hallways.
A deep pool of water pulls us down,
Making us swim through the basement floor.

This time we will win the fight.
This time The Dead will yield.
This time we will leave with our friends.
This time the night won't rule the day.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN

THE DEAD GAME


Friday, October 23, 2015

THE DEAD GAME CONTINUES — PART 1

THE DEAD GAME CONTINUES — PART 1



I’m falling down a dark hole,  
Beneath the spot where End House had once stood.
I’ve reached the bottom of the rabbit hole.
Pea soup darkness envelopes me.

Shadowy forms are swaying in the distance.  
With the tunnel’s wall at my back,
I walk toward the strange objects.  
They look like lamps with brightly lit shades. 

They aren’t lamps but tall mushrooms.  
Mushrooms in a variety of shapes and colors.  
A whole field of them,  
Sparkling far into the distance. 

I could just imagine what Alice had felt  
About her Wonderland.  
Mine is too dark for my taste.  
But I must find the truth.

The mushrooms loom around me,  
Facing me with their iridescent spots and stripes.
A town lies up ahead,  
Pale lights flickering in the windows.

The town looks oddly familiar.  
The church is quaint and so are the stores.  
It’s my town, the town of Oasis.  
An underground town built to resemble the real town.

The stores are empty.  
The streets are deserted.  
Night is here without its blanket of stars 
Or the protection of the moon.


I’ve found the beach but its sand is ice cold.  
The ocean is even colder.
No birds.  
No sea breeze.

He’s here.  
I knew he would be.  
“Linda, Welcome to my Oasis.  
Have you decided to join us?”

I step back.  
“No Wolf, I will never join you.  
Please let me go.
I don’t belong here with The Dead.”

His lips tighten as he moves closer.
He is not going to let me go.  
Ever.
I’m his prisoner. 

Wolf watches my face.  
He sees my fear and my defeat.  
A small smile forms on his lips.
“My dear, our games have just begun.” 

THE DEAD GAME CONTINUES — PART 1 




Wednesday, October 21, 2015

THE DEAD GAME CONTINUES — PRELUDE TO BOOK II





I must see if End House is still standing.  
I was there when the house was destroyed.  
When the evil creatures were dragged  
From the windows by our chanting   
And cast into the raging sea.

 The house had disappeared before my eyes.  
But yet, one section had remained standing,  
Before becoming transparent,   
And then poof,
It was gone for good.

 I’m on a mission to see if the house is truly gone.  
No one else happened to notice the shadowy section   
That had hovered and wavered until it dissolved.  
But I know it’s still there.  
I need to know.

 The forest is quiet.  
I don’t hear birds chirping.  
I’m alone but I can feel eyes watching me.  
I should’ve parked closer to the house.
I don’t remember the path snaking around the trees.

 Here’s the black fence with its spikes pointing upward.
 Not a comfortable place for birds.  
How convenient, the gate is wide open.  
All I have to do is walk through the trees.
No gloomy house should be waiting for me. 


 There is something up ahead.  
A large shadow in the mist.
It must be the pool. 
It can’t be.   
The house can’t be back.

 I can see through it to the trees beyond.  
The sky is growing darker by the minute.  
The shadowy house is beginning to fade away.
It’s dissolving into the ground,  
Like it had done on that other fateful night. 

All that remains is a deep hole.  
Why did I come alone?
I don’t want to check out the hole.  
I don’t want to be here.
I’m leaving. 

Where did these heavy gusts of wind come from?
It was such a nice and balmy evening.
Now the winds are blowing their heads off.
  
The trees are thrashing their branches at me.  
They won’t let me leave. 

I’m being bounced from one tree to the next,  
Like a football being tossed around.  
“Stop it! Let me go!”  
They don’t listen to my cries.  
I believe they are laughing at me.
  
“Here’s that!” I jab my foot into a thick root.  
The tree stretches out its branch to swipe at me.  
“No please! Save me!” 
 Too late.
I’m falling down the dark hole. 

I can’t grab hold of anything firm.
The sides are too slippery.

 Rocks and dirt are falling on me.
I can’t stop myself from sliding down.  
This was such a bad idea. 

I’m falling too fast.
No light is coming from above.  
It’s just me and the darkness, my old friend.  
The darkness can’t save me now.  
Nothing can save me now. 

I feel dizzy.
I’m being twirled in circles by the wind.  
Round and round I go.  
Where I’ll stop, nobody knows.  
The silly things that enter your head at the end. 

I’ve hit rock bottom.   
I’m sore.  
My bottom hurts.  
And I don’t know  
Where the hell I am. 

THE DEAD GAME CONTINUES

PRELUDE TO BOOK II

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

MY INTERVIEW ON "WRITE BITCHES" BY KAYTI NIKA RAET



Why I Write What I Write #17: Susanne Leist #WriteBitches

http://writebitches.com/2015/10/19/why-i-write-what-i-write-17-susanne-leist-writebitches/ 


Susanne Leist is a fellow Brooklynite I bumped into after teaming with a bunch of authors for an epic Halloween book party we have planned. Luckily she’s nice enough to allow me to drag her way down deep to my neck of the woods and share with us why she writes what she writes.
 
♥ ♥ ♥

heartbeatwords2


TO BE OR NOT TO BE

To be or not to be a writer.
This has been the hardest question for me.
Should I continue with my pursuit?
Or step away and claim defeat?
One book written.
One book sold.
It dances around on Amazon and Nook.
It reaches new heights in its niche
And then it slowly bows its head in silence.
The highs feel good and lofty,
While the lows feel depressing and sad.
Is it worth it?
Is it worth the aggravation?
I am told that a writer must keep writing.
More books to dance around.
More highs and lows.
Should I keep doing this?
 Will I keep doing this?
Yes, for now
As I wait for the next high. 

 

 

BIO
 
I have always loved to read books. My goal has been to write a book different than any other book that I’ve read. And I believe I have accomplished this. The Dead Game has dead bodies and suspects like a traditional murder mystery. However, it also has humans, vampires, and vampire derivatives. It has plenty of romance and thrills. And don’t forget the haunted house–we must have one of these.
 
 

BOOK LINKS/ THE DEAD GAME
 
Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment